Monday, July 21, 2008

Bachelor Life

So this summer, it was my wife's turn to "sacrifice" for the sake of her friendship with her best friend of many years, and fly to Hawaii for two weeks.

Brittney moved there two years ago, and they have since alternated visiting each other each summer. This was a big deal for Jess, as since 2005, she had developed an acute fear of flying. She was on a flight home from Germany that year, when the plane took a momentary dive in mid-flight. Everything turned out fine, and at the time she wasn't scared, but since then, the possibility of dying in a plane crash has become on of her greatest fears.

She spent the last couple months trying to research and prepare herself. There are websites out there devoted to helping people overcome their fear of flying, and they talk about how safe the planes are, and the amount of precaution and training undergone by all personnel involved.

She also got a prescription for a medication from her doctor that would help her to be less anxious, which she said worked like a charm. She had been doubtful about this, as when we were on our honeymoon, she had taken a Valium from a fellow passenger, but it didn't work. She had already been all worked up though, and so the key this time was that she took it before the flight.

So she comes back the 30th of the month, and I've been trying to entertain myself, finding that I have forgotten what bachelor life is like. I've taken a good number of naps (something she normally doesn't let me do too often), read a lot, and hung out with friends. I've also watched my share of educational programs on Discovery, History, Learning, and Science channels.

I've lacked the motivation to blog, since I've found that living with her makes my life interesting, or at least causes me to perceive it in a more excited way. Her passion for life has become a part of me, and when she's gone, I miss her so much. I will be so happy to have her home in a few days, but in the meantime, got any good suggestions of "things-to-do" for me??

No comments: