Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Olympics...AWESOME

Every time the Olympics roll around, I fail to catch the momentum of all the hype beforehand, and even as Opening Ceremonies comes and goes, I don't really get all that excited for the momentous worldwide competition.

Until I actually watch them.

Jess is still in Kentucky until Friday, and she asked me to record some of the highlights for her to watch when she gets back, so I agreed, and last night, sat down to watch some men's volleyball, and the crown jewel of the Olympics: Michael Phelps.

AWESOME.

We English-speakers have really killed our language, and overused any words that describe something that is truly magnificent, but there's no other words that can describe the pure adrenaline rush and competitive spirit of the Olympic games (actually there is one word coined on Saturday Night Live to describe things of this nature: Scrumtrelescent).

I'm not very much into the hyper-patriotism that some ascribe to events like this, but watching our team USA in action made me feel all warm and gushy inside, and also like I could go out on the beach, and slam a spike just like those volleyball guys were doing. You gotta chuckle at the irony however, that our US men's volleyball team features guys with names like Phillipe Dalhausser (French first name? Is that German for "doll house"??)

And then there's Michael Phelps. Destined to be known by a single name, such as gymnastics great "Nadia," this guy is now the most decorated athlete in Olympic history, and he's got more events to go. It's a thing of beauty to watch this guy swim, and it's no wonder he's now officially the greatest Olympic athlete of all time.

So yes, it took me a few days, and maybe it's just due to the fact that I can't stand when things are hyped up in the media, but I'm pumped now for the remainder of these games, and to see if Phelps can indeed win gold in his remaining events.

On a separate note, I see Radiohead at the Hollywood bowl in 12 days...

No comments: