Monday, September 22, 2008

What's on the mp3 Player...

I tend to go in phases in regard to the genres that I explore, although I often reside in the global category of "rock." It is interesting to see some of the sub-genres that have "developed" from this patriarch of musical styles: (This is the actual progression of genre->sub-genre from Rhapsody)

I. Rock/Pop
A. Adult Alternative
B. Adult Contemporary
C. Art & Progressive Rock
D. Blues & Boogie Rock
E. Classic Rock
F. Country Rock
G. Folk-Rock (Not sure why this sub-genre gets a hyphen???)
H. Funk Rock
I. Glam (Don't even NEED to put "rock" here right??)
J. Hard Rock
K. Instrumental Rock
L. Jam Rock
M. Latin Pop
N. Metal
O. Pop
P. Roots
Q. Singer-Songwriter
R. Surf

Pretty interesting huh? All that to say I've been dabbling in a "Tooth & Nail phase" (which would be found under the more specialized genre progression: "Alternative/Punk (Genre) ->Indie Rock->Emo). Tooth & Nail is a Christian label, and they spawned one of my favorite bands of my youth: Plankeye. They've progressed as a label, and have settled into a good spot in music culture; meaning they have a much wider audience than just Christian kids whose parents are worried that they have "swoop" haircuts and wear black nail polish. They have done a good job of signing bands that have resisted the urge to make a "worship album," but instead write about the life that happens outside of the box many Christians have put the term "worship" inside. Lyrically, some of these bands show promise, and I'm still just scratching the surface of many of these bands, but here are some names to check out:

-"Cover Your Eyes" by Sullivan
-"Great White Whale" by Secret and Whisper
-"A Fire So Big The Heavens Can See It" by Search The City
-"The Silver Cord" by The Classic Crime
-"Rival Factions" by Project 86
-"Brother, Sister" by MewithoutYou
-"A Toast To Bad Taste" by Far-Less

I'm also in the midst of a Beatles revival of sorts. When I first acquired the Beatles catalog, it was mostly out of obligation (I figured since I called myself a musician, I SHOULD own the Beatles). A couple weekends ago, on the way to the Radiohead concert, Peter, Greg, and I listened to the Beatles the whole trip home, and it got me thinking I should give them another go. So I did, and something finally clicked for me. I have developed an immense appreciation for their contributions to rock and roll, and to just plain ol' good songwriting (of which I think Paul McCartney was the champion; sorry Lennon fans).

So that's a little taste of what I'm listening to. If you know me, I'm always trying to expand and challenge my musical tastes, so if you have any suggestions, don't be shy...

No comments: