Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo...

Those of you who know me well know that I derive a certain enjoyment from English as a spoken and written language. I love how imperfect it is, and how often we fail to communicate what we mean, despite (for some) an extensive vocabulary.

My buddy Peter showed me this Wikipedia article on this famous example of how homonyms and homophones can be used to create complicated sentence constructs.

Before you follow this link, let me encourage you to stick with this, and not give up if it seems complicated at first. I would definitely recommend you share this experience with someone in your near vicinity. I would also recommend that you read the article out loud (either one of you). Hopefully it will sink in and have you reeling at just how ridiculous the idea is, and at the same time, how much sense it makes. Just wait until you get to the examples from other languages!!!

CLICK TO EXPERIENCE "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo"