Wednesday, October 10, 2007

In Rainbows

If you were to ask about my "favorite band," I would think about the multitudes of bands that I like and listen to, and then I would remember, "oh yeah, but then there's Radiohead." And I would easily respond that they top my "all-time" list as far as favorites go.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not making some bold claim that Radiohead is the "best" band of all time (what is the objective standard for being "the best" anyway?); but I'm saying without a doubt, that their music strikes a deep resonance with me, and strikes it in such a way as no other band has been able to come close.

They just released their 7th studio album entitled "In Rainbows," and the way in which they went about releasing that album is intriguing in itself. But there's something in their mix of rock, electronic, folk, and ethereal awesomeness that consistently challenges my preconceptions of what music is/should be, but that does it in a brilliant and beautiful panorama of sonic bliss. In other words, they always strive for originality and creativity, but they always do it in a musically beautiful and pleasing way, not just doing different for different's sake.

Anyways, I'd recommend you check out www.inrainbows.com and give it a listen. If you haven't clicked on the link in the last paragraph, check it out, and you might be lots more inclined to give the album a listen.

Let me know what you think ok?

4 comments:

Tim Costine said...

so are they 'stastically' your favorite band? or is that still "our Lady Peace"?

Paul said...

haha, I forgot about that. Yeah, "In Rainbows" is Radiohead's 7th, versus OLP's 6, so yes, "statistically," Radiohead has taken the lead.

Tim Costine said...

hey, I heard that if you preordered the album online, they actually let the buyers pick their price. it could be anything, even free. most people did something equivalent to $10. an interesting study into human nature.

Paul said...

Yep, that's exactly what they did, and I paid $8 GBP, which is roughly equivalent to $15 USD.