Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Movie Review: Prince Caspian



I saw The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian over the weekend, and must say that it was a great film. I really enjoyed it, and I'm so glad that the franchise has stayed as true to the books as they have.

Ben Barnes did a great job as Prince Caspian the tenth, and Sergio Castellitto was a tremendous as the evil King Miraz. The best supporting role in the movie has to be the part of Trumpkin played by Peter Dinklage; brilliant line delivery every time!

I've read a couple of reviews that even thought that the movie was better than the book!

Favorite line: (taken from the book, but just as powerful in the film)
"Aslan," said Lucy, "you're bigger." "That is because you are older, little one," answered he. "Not because you are?" "I am not. But every year you grow, you will find me bigger."

Lewis was so brilliant with these snippets of spiritual truth! God is unchanging, to be sure, but as we grow and mature, our view of him continues to enlarge, and he becomes that much bigger to us!

Looking forward to the new Indiana Jones film this next weekend; so far a great start to the summer movie season!

Anyone else see Prince Caspian yet? Thoughts?

2 comments:

Tim Costine said...

I haven't seen it yet, but John Peirson was going off last night before the elder's meeting about how he didn't like they way they conveyed the story. Instead of it being concentrated on a society that had rejected the authority and left its roots, he was complaining how they made it a coming of age movie. He sounded like he knew that the director did it on purpose, wanting to focus on a different aspect than Lewis had focused on.

Paul said...

I can see that, but I definitely thing there is a "coming of age" aspect to the story that can't be ignored. As for the "societal" aspect, I don't think the society "rejected its roots" as much as an evil tyrant killed his brother, the king, in order to usurp the throne, and rule with an iron fist. I don't think that was a choice that came from the society as a whole (one of Miraz' own men kills him!).

And you have to cut the Telmarines a break; they are from our world after all ;-)