Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Goodbye Lunch and First Youth Group


Yesterday the church staff from SGUC took me out to a delicious goodbye lunch at Wood Ranch BBQ & Grill (which was "casually" suggested by Pastor Tim Costine). Jessica Shunkey, Steve Balentine, Greg Golden, Matt Meixell, Tim Costine, Diane Acosta, and I all piled into Diane's car and headed to lunch together.

As I remarked to Pastor Greg in our meeting later, the time leading up to a significant change, and the time after, are usually the "significant" parts; the actual change itself is rarely momentous. As I finish out this last week there, everything is so normal. Daycare kids run around the youth center outside my office, feeling like anything they say must be yelled, phones ring, emails arrive, etc.



I don't even know how to put into words the affection that I have for this church and its people. I know that I will probably not be too much of a stranger around here, simply because how can something that has been a huge part of my life cease to be a part at all?? Jess and I have many amazing relationships here that we will continue to enjoy, and my mom and brother are still here in ministry, so I hope that I'll be able to come around often.

That evening, I went out to the Youth Bible study kickoff for Crossroads. I was able to lead their group in song, and I was impressed and glad that they jumped right in and sung along with me. Kyle Ruggles is heading up their youth program, and he talked with them about the name he was giving the group: "Foundations" and what that name says about the characteristics of their group, namely that they would not be conformed to this world, nor anyone else's faith; that they would not forsake meeting together with the church body; and that they would stand up, and stand firm in the truth of the gospel in their lives. They meet every other Tuesday, and I'm looking forward to being involved with them.

1 comment:

Tim Costine said...

for those that don't know, the bottom of my shirt says "Paul Hoover".

And I was simply pushing Woodranch because you like it. I can't help if we have similar tastes.