Monday, February 4, 2008

Fisherman's Friend


I've been battling a cough for the last week or more, and I want to take this moment to thank Fisherman's Friend for being one of few sources of relief.

When I was at Master's, Dr. Plew used to talk about these drops that he'd use when he was fighting off a cough, called Fisherman's Friend. He mentioned that they'd saved him on more than one occasion, and that he swore by these things.

Dr. Plew is an "up-in-front-of-people" kind of guy. If you know him, you'd say that was an understatement. As much as he's in front of people, it makes sense that he needs an extraordinary kind of lozenge to keep coughs at bay.

Until this cough, I'd never needed anything beyond your average Halls, or the delicious Ricola drops. But this cough was a beast unlike any I'd battled in the past.

So one Sunday morning, as I wondered how in the world I was going to lead worship with this ferocious hacking, I stopped in at Albertson's, remembering Dr. Plew's fabled brand.

I'm converted.

The average Halls lozenge has 3.1 milligrams of the active cough suppressing ingredient: Menthol. Fisherman's Friend has 10. Enough said.

However, Halls does have a "10 milligram," extra strength version, which I tried upon finding no Fisherman's Friend at Pavillions when I needed to refill.

Not the same.

Something about those little soap-looking, cakey lozenges developed for fishers of the deep seas near Iceland and the arctic circle, packs a punch that no Halls can match.

"Do they taste good?" You may be asking. No, they don't. To quote the wise Ralph Wiggum, of the Simpsons, "it tastes like...burning."

In this season of flus, colds, sore throats, and those coughs-that-won't-let-go. I dare you to try Fisherman's Friend and not think they're the best out there.

I dare you.

Also, their website is really cool. www.fishermansfriend.com

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi the Paul (and Jess too!!) This is the Chief. Just found your blog and I'm going to add you as a link on ours. :)
Your testimonial is incredibly convincing...knowing Dr. P. for so long, I have of course heard of these, but am sad to admit that I have never seen the need to try them for myself. That all changed when I read this post. As soon as I feel a cough coming on (which I think we're due for soon), you can bet I will be getting som FF's for myself.
Hey...we want to hang out with you guys soon...call the Shoop or I will have him call you...

P.S.I think I just won the prize for Longest Comment in the World Ever.

Paul said...

HA! The Chief, we want to hang out too! Ryan never calls me back!! I will call him however, and attempt to make it happen. :)

Tim Costine said...

tastes like burning, huh? same way that a cup of Wasabi does? or a different burning?

Paul said...

No, that ball of wasabi tasted more like the apocalypse in my mouth, than just plain burning.