Monday, February 25, 2008

Eric Whitacre Looks Like Sawyer

Doesn't he? If you don't know who Sawyer is, I won't bludgeon you with my love for LOST.

Eric Whitacre is a phenomenal contemporary composer. If you've never heard his work, it's hard to even describe what he does, 'cause it's probably like trying to explain Pinkberry to someone who's never had it.

I sang his work "Sleep" with the Master's Chorale while I was a student there, and he's been one of my favorites ever since.

Many of you know that I'm not really a "choral music type of guy" but it seriously is a tremendous genre, and when you stop to think about the music that is coming only from voices, it's pretty amazing.

Check out Whitacre's website, and you can go to his main page, or his Myspace. On his Myspace, you can listen to the full recording of "Sleep." Highly recommended. His main page has shorter samples of many more of his pieces. He's also got various CDs on Amazon. Enjoy.

4 comments:

Tim Costine said...

honestly, when I saw the picture, I thought, what is Sawyer doing conducting?!

Paul said...

HA! Exactly.

chessum said...

What do you mean, you're not a choral music kind of guy?

All I can say is: your loss.

Whitacre is a good guy - I got to work with him at APU.

Paul said...

Oh Trace, I do like and respect the choral genre a great deal! It's just not the first style that I go for on the iPod. I have to be in a certain mood for it.